2016-Present: Doctor of Philosophy in Learning Analytics, Connected Intelligence Centre, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
2012-2013: Master of Science in Information Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (CGPA 4.15/5)
2006-2010: Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science and Engineering from Anna University, India (First Class with Distinction)
Online Course Certifications:
- Data, Analytics, and Learning: Data, Analytics, and Learning, an online course offered by EdX, provided an introduction to learning analytics and how it is being deployed in various contexts. It explored analytics, the basics of finding, cleaning, and using educational data, predictive models, text analysis, and activity graphs and social networks. Tools like Tableau Software for exploratory data analysis, Gephi for social network analysis, Rapidminer for predictive modelling and LightSIDE for text mining were used. My contributions to the course can be found in the blog: http://shibanila.blogspot.sg/
- Machine Learning: Machine Learning, an online course offered by Stanford on Coursera gave a broad introduction to machine learning, datamining, and statistical pattern recognition. Topics included: 1) Supervised learning (parametric/non-parametric algorithms, support vector machines, kernels, neural networks). 2) Unsupervised learning (clustering, dimensionality reduction, recommender systems, deep learning). 3) Best practices in machine learning (bias/variance theory; innovation process in machine learning and AI).
- Python: 6.00.1x, an online course offered by MIT on EdX provided an introduction to computer science as a tool to solve real-world analytical problems using Python programming language. It introduced computing systems, and implementation of different elements of programming such as functions, recursion, objects, debugging etc. in Python, and required students to build real-world systems in Python.
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/antonette-shibani-2564314b
*Full time positions
- Ongoing: Teaching team member – Arguments, Evidence and Intuition undergraduate course, UTS (Part-time)
Tutor for the subject Arguments, Evidence and Intuition which teaches quantitative literacy, basic statistics and critical thinking skills
- 2018: Research Assistant, UTS (Part-time)
Working on Dr. Kirsty Kitto‘s project mapping and developing graduate data attributes from curriculum materials of data-intensive subjects across UTS .
- 2017 Spring and Autumn semesters: Teaching team member – Masters of Data Science and Innovation, UTS (Part-time)
Subject tutor for ‘36106: Data, Algorithms and Meaning‘ involving regular engagement and tutoring students in data science programming, machine learning and R.
- 2016: Research Project Officer, UTS (Part-time)
Research Assistant working on qualitative and text analysis of data from a writing benchmarking project.
- *Jul 2013 – Aug 2016: Research Associate, National Institute of Education – Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (Full-time)
Research work on projects involving learning analytics and developing 21st-century competencies (teamwork, in particular) in school education. Grants from the three projects below funded by the Ministry of Education, Singapore:
- Exploring Teamwork Beliefs and Competencies in Technology-enabled 21st Century Classrooms
- Measuring and Nurturing Teamwork Competency through a Computer-supported Creative Collaborative Problem-Solving Program
- Integrating My Groupwork Buddy into the classroom to enhance student team collaboration and teacher pedagogical practice
- Work with researchers in a team and different stakeholders of the project towards project goals.
- Conduct literature review from journal articles and research papers.
- Design, develop and maintain web systems for research requirements.
- Analyse data using tools Excel, SPSS, R, Python, Weka and other machine learning tools.
- Publish results as reports and research articles in conferences and journals.
- Used R code and Rapidminer to program an efficient pre-processing system for capturing Singlish terms, abbreviations, punctuations and other contextual complexities of chat text data.
- Implemented a Named Entity Recognition system to identify student names from text using the Stanford NER model from Stanford CoreNLP and a spelling checker using PyEnchant.
- Developed a text classification system using natural language processing rules to classify text into 6 categories in R.
- Sentiment analysis system implemented to analyse student reviews on the programme using R and Rapidminer.
- Implementation of prediction modelling and machine learning algorithms for automating chat text data analysis using LightSIDE, Weka and Sci-kit Learn in Python.
- Visualizations of results implemented using JS libraries and Tableau.
- Topic modelling using LDA algorithm implemented in R to identify the topic and theme from the list of words in text corpus.
- *Jul 2010 – Jun 2012: Programmer Analyst, Cognizant Technology Solutions Pvt. Ltd, Chennai, India (Full-time)
Software developer/ programmer for projects in the Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence domain for US healthcare clients.
- Work in all the stages of the software development life cycle.
- Design and develop systems for client requirements using Informatica.
- Develop and execute stored procedures for client requirements.
- Involve in the implementation of interfaces, change requests incorporation and defect fixes.
- Aid in Data modeling of the data mart.
- Develop and implement mappings in Informatica for data transformations.
Technologies/ Tools used:
- ETL, Informatica, XML, UNIX, SQL, PL/SQL, Erwin Data Modeler, MS Visio, Toad
Scholarships and Awards
- ACM-W scholarship supporting Women in Computing (LAK, 2019)
- Doctoral Consortium Funding to attend the Learning Analytics and Knowledge LAK 2018 Conference (SOLAR, 2018)
- Vice Chancellor’s Conference Fund (University of Technology Sydney, 2017)
- Asia Pacific Society for Computers in Education (APSCE) Merit Scholarship (ICCE, 2017)
- Tamil Nadu Government Merit Certificate (India, 2004) in recognition of high position scoring 97.6% in secondary school public examination.
Leadership and Committee Roles
- 2019 – Ongoing: Executive Member of the Society of Learning Analytics Research SoLAR (Elected student member)
- 2019 – Ongoing: Chair of SOLAR Special Interest Groups
- 2018: Board of Studies Member (student representative) for the Connected Intelligence Centre, University of Technology Sydney, Australia.
- 2009-2010: Editorial Board Member of Undergraduate College Magazine in Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Anna University, India.
- 2009-2010: Class Representative of the computer science engineering undergraduate cohort in Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Anna University, India.
- 2005: School Pupil Leader for St.Joseph’s Convent Higher Secondary School leading 3000+ school students (Elected)
Program Committee member and Reviewer
- 9th International Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference LAK 2019.
- Special Track on Big Data, Analytics & Machine Learning in Education in IEEE TALE 2018.
- 26th International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE 2018)
- 8th International Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (LAK 2018).
- Learning, Education and Families track in ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’19)
- 2 Invited Reviews for the Journal of Computer Assisted Learning (JCAL).
- 13th International Conference on the Learning Sciences (ICLS 2018).
- Eye Tracking Enhanced Learning: A workshop on eye-tracking experiences in educational technology research. Collocated with the 12th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, Estoni (2017).
- 2016 June: Volunteer Coordinator for the 12th International Conference of the Learning Sciences organized by National Institute of Education, NTU, Singapore.
- 2015 June: Strand Coordinator for the strand ‘IT in Education’ in the Redesigning Pedagogy International Conference organized by National Institute of Education, NTU, Singapore.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- ACM-Women in Computing Group
- Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR).
- Google Women Techmakers Group
- ASCILITE Learning Analytics Special Interest Group (LA-SIG)
- 2017: Asia Pacific Society for Computers in Education (APSCE).
- 2012-2015: NTU Chess Club, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2006-2010: Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE)
- 2006-2010: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers IEEE, IEEE India.